REFLECTOR:FG main bearing problem

Dennis Martin reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:56:12 -0600

As FG builders know, we have to tighten the castle nut on each main
gear axle tight enough to keep the retaining washer (and both bearing
housings) from rotating.   Put another way, the race on the wheel
must rotate around the Timken roller bearings while the housing and
seal remain stationary.

My problem: When I tighten the nut on the right main gear (enough to
stop the washer and bearings from rotating), the rubber seal balloons
out slightly around the outside diameter of the washer in one spot.
I've removed it and replaced it at least six times.  Always the same
result.   Has anyone else experienced this problem?  Suggested
solutions?

Dennis Martin
FG Long Wing