REFLECTOR:State taxes on aircraft?

Dave Black reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 17:59:38 -0400

Rob,

> Well Dave, I'm pretty partial to Texas.

Actually, I am too. I spent my formative childhood years in Fort Worth (back
before it was attached to Dallas). I always remember it fondly.

> Whatever climate/geology you like we have it here.
> Big city, small town or a 1,000 acre plot with absolutely nothing man
> made on it can be found here.

This is also true. Texas is spacious.

> Liberal or conservative? Pick your city we have them both. (Austin if
> your liberal anywhere else if your not! :-) )

At one time I was considering moving to Austin. I still think it's a fine
city. But I do want to put some space between me and liberals...

On my recent visit to Texas, I paid special attention to places west and south
of Fort Worth. The area around Weatherford seems interesting. Where are you located?

> No income tax. Period. Personal property tax only on homes. Plus your
> first home (your "Homestead") has a reduced value for tax purposes.

Oh yes, I remember that now.

> Once you hit retirement age (65?) You pay no property tax at all
> "Homestead".

Oh, I like that!!! I'm 57, so it won't be too long.

> In some states you pay property tax on cars and boats and even FURNITURE!
> (Arkansas).

Maybe because most people don't own houses?

> Not in Texas. We don't pay sales tax on food or medicine either. The
> state has this funny idea that the utter necessities of life should
> not be taxed. Weird huh? :-)

Yes. But I have those weird thoughts too. Here in Virginia we tax food. I
never understood the reasoning behind that.

> If there is any kind of airplane tax at all then I am in deep kimchee
> as I have had 3 planes and never paid a penny to the state for any of
> them.

Now, I must admit I really like the way Texans think!

Dave Black
Shortwing RG