REFLECTOR:Nose Wheel Shimmy Brake Problem

SANCHEZ, MERRI J., PHD (JSC-OC) (NASA) reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 16:02:20 -0500

I don't know if its comparible, but on the LongEZ I fly had a similar
problem with the wheel fork only being a couple of degrees off.  Experienced
occasional severe nose wheel shimmy and lost the nose wheel one landing.
After adjusting that angle, nose wheel shimmy stopped.  Tail draggers are
also known to get tail wheel shimmy if the wheel angle is off.

Merri Sanchez

-----Original Message-----
From: Don19dw@aol.com [mailto:Don19dw@aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 3:57 PM
To: reflector@awpi.com
Subject: REFLECTOR:Nose Wheel Shimmy Brake Problem

Have not been able to solve the following problem: when braking to a stop or

to turn off runway, get nose wheel shimmy, at low speed, 20 to 30 mph. The
harder the braking the worse the shimmy, and it ceases shortly after brakes
are
released. Have installed latest Matco brake discs and pads. Discs look
smooth
and OK and are properly aligned. Checked nose wheel OK for balance and not
out
of round. Also have extra tight shimmy damp torque of maybe 30 to 40# of
force
to move tire sideways. Talked to both Matco and Velocity and tried their
suggestions.  Only condition I find unusual is nose gear strut is about 7
degrees
forward at bottom end and factory says 2 degrees is normal.
Any ideas?????  Did Chris Martin have this problem???
Don White     N19DW    XL/RG