REFLECTOR:173 Front Seat Ballast

Velocity_AZ reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 12:52:24 -0700

Ronnie,

We just completed W&B on our 173 FG. (has M-T prop and quite a heavy panel)

Empty Weight - 1505 lbs.

My weight and balance says that I need 25-30 lbs in the nose (18" aft) to
fly within the envelope (I weight 147 lbs.) or 65 lbs in the co-pilot seat.

I plan on using lead shot bags.

Regards,

Kevin Steiner
Scottsdale, AZ
Just received our airworthiness certificate this morning!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf Of
Ronnie Brown
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 1:55 PM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR:173 Front Seat Ballast

My weight and balance on my 173 Elite RG with 200 HP Lycoming and Catto Prop
says I should fly with 40-50 lbs of ballast in the co-pilot floor when I am
flying by myself - I weigh 190 lbs.  I recall Alan Shaw saying that the aft
CG limit was too conservative due to the flat stall problem, which had been
over corrected.  I am using a camping water tank that holds 5 gallons, but
it is leaking and sure is a pain.

Is anyone flying without ballast and weighs less than 200 lbs in a 173?

THANKS!
Ronnie