REFLECTOR:A TOUCHY SUBJECT!

Donald Royer reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 12:41:59 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C331A9.2E4650A0

In Colorado, you will probably not have to pay any sales tax on your =
homebuilt. The State Revenue Department  automatically picks up all new =
registrations, but what happens next is kind of murky. For example when =
I moved to Colorado ten years ago and reregisterd my plane, the state =
tried to collect sales tax on a Mooney that I had owned for years and =
for which I was simply updating my address. However, all that it took to =
get them to back off was an irate letter.

Apparently, Colorado does not have a sales tax on airplane parts only on =
completed airplanes. When an homebuilt registration comes through, =
apparently sometimes the state sends out a notice and sometimes they =
don't. Probably depending on which clerk handles the form letters that =
day. In my case, I did not get a notice at all. It has been about two =
years since I registered my Velocity and it looks as though I will not =
get one. Many homebuilders don't.

When the subject comes up at the local EAA chapter meeting, the people =
who did get the form letters say that it is easy to get the state to =
back off. Apparently all that is necessary is a letter stating that you =
did not purchase the airplane but that you built it yourself from parts =
and as far as you know any relevant sales taxes where paid on the parts =
at the time that you purchased the parts.

I am not a lawyer, but that is the situation in Colorado as far as I =
know it.

Don

----- Original Message -----=20