REFLECTOR:Storm Scope Probe

Tom Martino reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 17:58:48 -0600

We know they are useful in emergencies ... remember all the cell phones
on that day of 9/11?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Agnew [mailto:jim_agnew_2@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 4:47 PM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Storm Scope Probe

The problem is not with the FAA, it is with the FCC.  The
typical cell phone setup uses a triad of antennas that can
pick up the signal, they then negotiate and the strongest
one wins opening up space on the others as you move this
process repeats.  From the air you are line of sight and
may lock up a bunch of antennas since they may all have the
same signal strength.

That is the major reason for the "non aircraft use."  In an
emergency I doubt that the FAA or the FCC will get too
upset.

Jim

=====
James F. Agnew