REFLECTOR:Storm Scope Probe

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 13:04:53 EDT

--part1_73.31dbafef.2c1a0cb5_boundary

The only problem with the ground uplink system that I have heard is that one
must maintain about 5,000 feet of altitude in some areas to get it. The WSI
does not have this problem as it is a satellite based system.

There are two models, the AV-100, and the AV-200, the latter has just been
STC'd. I think the systems are the same except for STC.

Other systems are based on satellite telephone systems and charge on a "per
call" basis, thus one might be pound foolish and not make frequent enough
requests. I have also heard that the response time can sometimes be a bit long.
Some systems send text information only, not graphic. WSI sends both, depending
on your need.
As I understand the system, with the UPSAT MX20 the display  can show the
VFR/IFR chart on the left half of the screen and the weather beside it. It
apparently also interfaces with other displays, but as I have the UPSAT, that is the
only one I have checked.

Bob Wood

--part1_73.31dbafef.2c1a0cb5_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">The only problem with the ground uplink system that I=20=
have heard is that one must maintain about 5,000 feet of altitude in some ar=
eas to get it. The WSI does not have this problem as it is a satellite based=
 system.<BR>
<BR>
There are two models, the AV-100, and the AV-200, the latter has just been S=
TC'd. I think the systems are the same except for STC.<BR>
<BR>
Other systems are based on satellite telephone systems and charge on a "per=20=
call" basis, thus one might be pound foolish and not make frequent enough re=
quests. I have also heard that the response time can sometimes be a bit long=
. Some systems send text information only, not graphic. WSI sends both, depe=
nding on your need.<BR>
As I understand the system, with the UPSAT MX20 the display&nbsp; can show t=
he VFR/IFR chart on the left half of the screen and the weather beside it. I=
t apparently also interfaces with other displays, but as I have the UPSAT, t=
hat is the only one I have checked.<BR>
<BR>
Bob Wood<BR>
<BR>