REFLECTOR:MT Props

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 12:13:12 EDT

In a message dated 6/10/03 5:55:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
cjensen@dts9000.com writes:

<< has a nick and a leading edge crack that I'm not comfortable
 with.  Anyone have any thoughts regarding: >>

I went through a leading edge crack 8 month ago that was caused (they say)
operating out of the restricted RPM range.  What range I asked!  There was never
any restricted RPM listed at time of purchase for my un-counterweighted
engine, nor a follow up advisory implementing one after the sale.  I was the one
who caused the posting in the VV regarding this.  I'm sure many other Velocity
owners were not aware of this or happy about it.  The restricted range of
operation is 2250-2550.  This really sucks as that is right where you want to
cruise at.  Anyway, I operated between 2550 and 2580 at cruise, and still developed
a crack about 8 "in through the leading edge.  It went in 8 month ago, and
the repair was covered under warranty as no restricted RPM range was issued at
the time.  Check with mt about the leading edge crack.

That being said, my prop is still not in operation as upon return after 4
month of repair, the new grease seals (O-ring) immediately started slinging
grease out of all three blades.  I had to remove the prop again, and send back for
repair.  mt didn't want to cover the whole cost (about half plus shipping on
me as always) for the seal replacement even after admitting they had problems
with many prop seals, until I threatened legal action.  It has now been 1 1/2
months since then and the seals are still not at the prop shop to perform the
repair.  I have 180 hours on my mt over 3 1/2 years, and it has been down for
warranty repair 6 times and off the plane a total of 12 months.  It has
averaged 31.5 hours of operation before going down for repair.  However 4 of the
repairs were related to the electric system.  The hydraulics are the way to go.

Good thing I still have my Performance prop to keep me flying, otherwise I
would be down while still paying insurance and hanger rent.

TEC