REFLECTOR:Storm Scope Probe

Rich Guerra reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 07:31:32 -0600

Hi Wayne,
Thanks for the quick reply!

>Please note,
>  You are free to mount the probe anywhere you like, my
>recommendations are product of expert advise from Goodrich and many
>installations.
>The wing area is regarded as the best location due to it's distance
>from extraneous wiring, ignition systems and other inductive
>components.

I figured that was the case and that the location was based on
careful skin mapping, etc analysis, but I know that others have put
them elsewhere with varying degrees of success and was curious if
there where alternative locations.

>We have performed all of the skin mapping experiments and spent the
>time to get it to a fairly optimal configuration. At this point I
>feel that we
>(Velocity and myself) have accomplished our task of providing the
>best solution for the probe location. I question why one would not
>use the
>afore mentioned free advise, if it ain't broke don't fix it...

Well, my wings were unfortunately built by the factory before this
option was available and are now painted.  Your discussions of your
and Velocity's research is much appreciated. I would love to use
ideal solution but before I resort to invasive (and $$)
modifications, I was hoping that there might be other options based
on your experience, especiially for an installation in a finished
plane.  So, along the lines of my original questions, I take it that
any internal mountings are likely to be suboptimal? eg. outer edge of
strakes?

Thanks again for your or anyone else's input!
Rich Guerra