REFLECTOR:Storm Scope Probe

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:28:24 EDT

--part1_142.1351a399.2c1736f8_boundary

 My antenna is about 4 feet from the tip of the pilot side wing on the
underside. I have about a 2 sq ft aluminum sheet buried under the top layup. The
"antenna" screws into nut plates mounted on the aluminum sheet so I get good
contact.

I do have indications when the strobes are on, but turn them off and clear
and all is well.
 I just returned to Florida from a flight to Oshkosh and encountered an area
of full blown thunderstorm across the center of Florida. The detector worked
well and told me to just get on the ground and RON. This was confirmed by
weather radar in the FBO when I landed. Weather was clear except for some puffy
cumulus and the thunderstorms. The detector in this case simply confirmed what I
could see, but had it been overcast with imbedded storms it would have been
great.

In the past I have been able to steer my was clear of scattered storms using
the WX500. It is a good item, but may become useless when I get the WSI-100
installed which I will do as soon as they have  the software completed.

If I were building today I think I would ignore the WX-500 and go to the
WSI-100  InFlight which will also display on the UPSAT MX-20 (when the software is
completed). As I understand it, if the WSI is triggered, the UPSAT VFR
display will
occupy half of the screen and the weather display the other.

Bob Wood
XL FG

Bob Wood
XL FG

--part1_142.1351a399.2c1736f8_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"> My antenna is about 4 feet from the tip of the pilot=20=
side wing on the underside. I have about a 2 sq ft aluminum sheet buried und=
er the top layup. The "antenna" screws into nut plates mounted on the alumin=
um sheet so I get good contact.<BR>
<BR>
I do have indications when the strobes are on, but turn them off and clear a=
nd all is well.<BR>
 I just returned to Florida from a flight to Oshkosh and encountered an area=
 of full blown thunderstorm across the center of Florida. The detector worke=
d well and told me to just get on the ground and RON. This was confirmed by=20=
weather radar in the FBO when I landed. Weather was clear except for some pu=
ffy cumulus and the thunderstorms. The detector in this case simply confirme=
d what I could see, but had it been overcast with imbedded storms it would h=
ave been great.<BR>
<BR>
In the past I have been able to steer my was clear of scattered storms using=
 the WX500. It is a good item, but may become useless when I get the WSI-100=
 installed which I will do as soon as they have&nbsp; the software completed=
.<BR>
<BR>
If I were building today I think I would ignore the WX-500 and go to the WSI=
-100&nbsp; InFlight which will also display on the UPSAT MX-20 (when the sof=
tware is completed). As I understand it, if the WSI is triggered, the UPSAT=20=
VFR display will <BR>
occupy half of the screen and the weather display the other.<BR>
<BR>
Bob Wood<BR>
XL FG<BR>
<BR>
Bob Wood<BR>
XL FG</FONT></HTML>

--part1_142.1351a399.2c1736f8_boundary--