REFLECTOR:Tinted Windows

Dave Black reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 07 Jun 2003 15:36:35 -0400

> Greg Poole wrote:
> > In fact, I am likely to have to do  it again if the dark tint glass I
> > somehow managed to order (I think?)  is too dark for night VFR use.

My theory is that night is very contrasty. Land and water are very dark, while
pinpoints of light are extremely bright. So, using a dark tint affects
primarily your perception of the dark areas -- which are virtually black
anyway. Of course the bright lights are reduced an equal amount, but (like
daylight) that's not an entirely bad thing.

So, even though I've not yet flown with dark windows, I'm convinced night
vision will not be as adversely affected as one at first might suppose. For a
quick test of this theory, you could try wearing sunglasses of a similar
darkness on a night flight.

Dave Black
Shortwing RG