REFLECTOR:Aileron Fence

Scott Derrick reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 07 Jun 2003 06:38:37 -0600

It has:

try http://www.lightspeedengineering.com/KlausInfo/Flowfence.htm  for
Klaus's test results.

Here's Rodney's results on a Velocity: Rodney's fences are pretty big.

Hi Chuck,

1. I got a >15% reduction in take-off roll on my final version of the
fences.  Looks like that is attributable to driving the air more directly
over the wing at slower speeds and not having it slide down the wing, which
if you do some dirty oil tests you will see that it is doing.
2. It doesn't effect your stall, that's all governed by the canard.
3. It feels like it reduces roll rate slightly.  I didn't measure it, but
you can tell the plane has more tail feathers, especially as you move the
fences out along the wing, which I would not suggest.  To me it makes the
plane feel more stable.
4. Reduction in cruise speed is dependent upon height of the fences and
location.  At the location and height I have them, I have no reduction in
cruise speed.

5. I think they should be standard on the kit... but then what do I know.  I
think everyone should move to forward hinging doors;)

Rodney Brim,
PS I have a picture and dimensions if you want them.  They probably helped
save my neck as I had an ugly door pop, going inverted stall at 200 feet
coming off a runway a couple of years ago... sometimes you can use all the
stability and directional control you can get your hands on.