REFLECTOR:Re: RG vs. Fixed

jack davis reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 23:22:29 -0400

>I am not really sure what the speed loss >would be with a good fitting
farings.  I >think 10kt could be high.  I have a IO->360 @210hpw/
10-1pistons and mt.  I >true at 178kts balls to the wall above >8K.  What
about other' fliers REAL no >B.S. #'s.

I can honestly say that I get much higher true airspeeds and the GPS
confirms what I'm seeing.  I true to about 187-190 KTAS.  Of course, I have
made modifications including flush mounted windows, flanged main gear doors
and tightly fitting nose gear doors, aileron gap seals, low drag oil cooler
ducting, modified cowling, and tight seams everywhere.  I don't know what
any of these things are worth individually.  I am working on a mod that will
completely enclose and streamline the main gear, but don't know if this will
add any more speed.  I can tell you that I love every knot I gain.
Aerodynamic efficiencies are so much better than adding more horsepower.
When you are flying long cross-countries, a 30 or 40 minute cut in time is
well appreciated.

Jack