REFLECTOR:RE:check valves

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:56:53 -0400

Another thing about check valves.  They seem to always work perfectly when
being tested and fail when you rely on them.  It's just another "thing" that
can break or malfunction.  What's particularly bad about them, is there is
not indication of failure.  And testing them is arduous in most
installations.  Unless they are deemed essential, the parts shelf is a good
place for them. IMHO.

chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Brett Ferrell
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2003 10:10 AM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:RE:check valves

I'll bite.  Although it *should* be OK, all thinngs being equal, I think
it's a bad idea because all things are never equal.  There are a lot of ways
the tanks might get out of balance, and with open lines they can rebalance
themselves and avoid a lot of trimming.

I think in the example of the tip tanks, they're meant to be able to be
completely drained, and you wouldn't want them refilling in a steep
(uncoordinated) turn.  You shouldn't routinely have the strakes running dry,
and even if you get a little undesirable cross flow, the moment arm isn't as
big a concern as with a tip tank.

Brett