REFLECTOR:Fuel and vent system

alventures reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 27 Jul 2003 10:01:09 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01C35426.01045F20

Particularly interesting was your observation of the air bubble in the
fuel line that wouldn't go up and the down flowing fuel had a difficult
time pushing it back into the sump.  And, this was under what I assume
was ideal conditions, in that the fuel line ran pretty much straight up
from the sump to strake; no humps and dips.  Any hump/dip is virtually
assured of causing an air lock (anecdotal speculation), blocking/slowing
fuel flow.

Chuck;

In the qualitative flow tests I did I roughly simulated the line from
the strake to the sump, i.e., relatively horizontal and varying the head
difference over about the range from full to empty strake.  I think in a
vertical tube the air would very quickly go one way or the other.  Even
when I put a dip in the line the smaller bubbles cleared quickly.

 In the actual case where you are feeding from both tanks (as Keith has
pointed out) the bubble would go back to the strake tank because the
flow resisted from one line would be compensated by the other.  I
suppose you could get a large bubble in both lines at the same time that
way take a little while to resolve, but it is hard to imagine a
perfectly stable balanced condition lasting very long, meaning like 10
-15 seconds.  The sump tank does provide a nice reserve.

Al

To those who are satisfied with to having to wiggle your wings
occasionally, ignore low-level warning lights, only do limited descents
(then having to reload your sump), flying around with who-knows-how-many
gallons of unusable fuel, having to remember to manually burp and vent
the sump and so on ad nauseum, I say NOT!

We all have quirks of one sort or another in our planes, but that
doesn't mean we should accept them, as they are neither dear or beloved.
In some cases, they are innocuous, in others, dangerous and potentially
deadly.  They need to be fixed, not tolerated.  The fuel flow discussion
is headed in that direction even though we don't seem to be getting
there very fast.

Scott B., your example of the siphoning fuel flow through the sump
(header) vent was illustrative, but easily avoidable.  By
interconnecting the vent lines from both tanks and the sump to a common
manifold, then venting that manifold, you can not establish a siphoning
effect because all of three system components are under the exact same
pressure, beit negative or positive.

Even if the single vent line pointed backward, the vacuum created would
have to overcome the 1' of head from the tank to the sump to impede
flow.  If it pointed forward, it would slightly pressurize all three
tanks, thus having no effect.  If one of the caps is leaking air, no big
deal because the air pressure is the same in both mains since they are
interconnected.  By making the atmosphere common to all three tanks,
this issue of negative/positive pressure goes away and we rely on
gravity to do it's job, which it does with admirable consistency.

Chuck