REFLECTOR:Fuel and vent system

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 27 Jul 2003 11:37:23 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C35454.F9C92870

You da man, Al, you da man.  Real numbers instead of anecdotal information.
Good stuff.

Particularly interesting was your observation of the air bubble in the fuel
line that wouldn't go up and the down flowing fuel had a difficult time
pushing it back into the sump.  And, this was under what I assume was ideal
conditions, in that the fuel line ran pretty much straight up from the sump
to strake; no humps and dips.  Any hump/dip is virtually assured of causing
an air lock (anecdotal speculation), blocking/slowing fuel flow.

To those who are satisfied with to having to wiggle your wings occasionally,
ignore low-level warning lights, only do limited descents (then having to
reload your sump), flying around with who-knows-how-many gallons of unusable
fuel, having to remember to manually burp and vent the sump and so on ad
nauseum, I say NOT!

We all have quirks of one sort or another in our planes, but that doesn't
mean we should accept them, as they are neither dear or beloved.  In some
cases, they are innocuous, in others, dangerous and potentially deadly.
They need to be fixed, not tolerated.  The fuel flow discussion is headed in
that direction even though we don't seem to be getting there very fast.

Scott B., your example of the siphoning fuel flow through the sump (header)
vent was illustrative, but easily avoidable.  By interconnecting the vent
lines from both tanks and the sump to a common manifold, then venting that
manifold, you can not establish a siphoning effect because all of three
system components are under the exact same pressure, beit negative or
positive.

Even if the single vent line pointed backward, the vacuum created would have
to overcome the 1' of head from the tank to the sump to impede flow.  If it
pointed forward, it would slightly pressurize all three tanks, thus having
no effect.  If one of the caps is leaking air, no big deal because the air
pressure is the same in both mains since they are interconnected.  By making
the atmosphere common to all three tanks, this issue of negative/positive
pressure goes away and we rely on gravity to do it's job, which it does with
admirable consistency.

Chuck