REFLECTOR:Fw: Testing fuel tanks

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 27 Jul 2003 10:09:39 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_00D4_01C35427.308FE420

I'm forwarding this note from a lurker who has quit writing to the =
Reflector because of some bad manners from some of our members.  He is =
not the only one that lurks and doesn't write for this very reason.  As =
you can see, here's some great information but you wouldn't have gotten =
it otherwise.

So watch your manners and etiquette!  We need all of the input we can =
get to make our V's as safe and enjoyable as they can be!  Even bad =
ideas spark great discussions and information exchange!!!!!

See you at Oshkosh!

Ronnie=20

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Ronnie Brown=20
To: (omitted at author's request)
Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2003 10:03 AM
Subject: Re: Testing fuel tanks

That sounds like the trick for sure!  What kind of smoke is used?

And I checked my gas caps yesterday.  Just hooked a 3/8" nylon tube to =
the vent, unloaded about 3-4 lung fulls of air into the tanks, put soap =
suds on the caps and found nothing.  Took all of 15 minutes to do it. =20

I think Don White's idea of checking fuel levels every 30 minutes while =
in flight is a super idea (I have a timer set to do the same thing).

My header tank has a Westach capacitance sender in it and it always says =
the header tank is full.  As it should be with 3/8" vent lines, sloping =
upwards to a common header then vented out the bottom with the slash cut =
toward the front to build pressure - not vacuum in the vent and tank =
system.  As some else mentioned, there's not a whole lot of fuel head =
that we are working with. =20

I have seen oil and water lines trap air and impede liquid flow, but a =
few bumps or some alternate rudder inputs ought to break these loose.  =
The fuel lines should slope downward from the strakes, which will help =
avoid this situation.

I'm going to resend your note (without your name) to the reflector.  =
Folks should know about the leak checker available at their local Toyota =
dealer.

See ya
Ronnie

----- Original Message -----=20