REFLECTOR:Fuel and vent sytem

KeithHallsten reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 27 Jul 2003 00:28:39 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0030_01C353D6.06607F80

Al,
Good post, with some good thought behind it.  When I built my sump tank =
(for a fixed-gear XL) I placed the fuel inlets at the extreme top corner =
of the tank, so I don't think I would have any significant volume of =
trapped air even if the vent line were eliminated completely.  Since the =
vent line is already installed, I plan to leave it in the system with a =
valve to shut it off.  Then I'll have the option to use it if my =
theories all turn out to be bogus!  I'll be a little surprised if I have =
to exercise the "burp" valve to release trapped air, though.=20
Keith
=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: alventures=20
  To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2003 9:29 PM
  Subject: REFLECTOR:Fuel and vent sytem

  This has been an interesting discussion, and a lot of it focused on =
the vent system.  Someone questioned the validity of the fuel system =
design.  I think there is an element of the design which is an inherent =
weakness, and which is at the root of these observed problems.=20

  Consider that the bottom of our fuel tank is about at the bottom of =
the spar.  The top of the sump tank is just below the spar.  Our =
friendly float valve just a couple inches below that.  Now note that a =
1" head of fuel is only about 0.03 psi.  Yeah, 3 one hundreds of a psi.  =
When our tanks are full we have about 0.3 psi of pressure driving the =
fuel to the sump when the sump is full.  When the strake is nearly =
empty, that pressure is about 0.05 psi.  This increases just slightly as =
the sump drains down to expose the inlet from the strake, but that's as =
high as it's going to get no matter how far the sump drains - the head =
that drives the fuel can only go as far the exit at the sump.

  So how much of a disturbance does it take to cause a problem.  Damn =
little - like a little cap leak, or partially plugged vent, or whatever. =
 And the float valve is right there at the top of the sump, so if the =
sump drains down a little, no matter how temporary, the light goes on.  =
Does this blinking light issue come up more frequently on Velocitys with =
IO540 engines that are using fuel at a higher rate?

  So one obvious physics reason for not having a vent to the sump tank =
is that without the sump vent we don't have to rely on that very small =
gravity head for fuel feed.  The fuel pump suction head is there to =
assist if needed.  (of course if the fuel is very warm and the vapor =
pressure gets high there won't be much suction ability either, but that =
is not likely an issue).

  Now don't let these low pressure head numbers scare you too bad. I did =
some flow tests a couple of years ago with a 3/8" vinyl tube where I =
could watch what happened, and it convinced me of a couple of things.  =
One is that, because of the low viscosity, fuel flow, even with only a =
few inches of head, was "pretty fast". I didn't measure what that meant =
in gph, but I'm going to guess that two tubes can run over 10 gph just =
fine.  And experience bears that out.  Surely someone has measured the =
gravity flow from the tanks, right?  What is it?

  The second thing was that air bubbles, for the most part, didn't seem =
to be an issue.  With very low flow they would migrate up stream, but it =
didn't take much flow for them to easily get carried with the flow and =
into the container.  These bubbles varied from very small to maybe an =
inch or so long in the tube. =20

  I say 'for the most part' because there was one thing that caught my =
attention.  With the bottom end of the tube submerged in fuel, and air =
in the tube, adding fuel to the tube which trapped a big (long) bubble, =
the fuel was very reluctant to flow when that bubble came to the end of =
the tube.  It took a bit of head to get that air to bubble into fuel.  =
Apparently has to do with the surface tension at the air-fuel interface. =
 I don't know if this is an issue or not, but the entrance to the sump =
is an end of a tube (though a different geometry) and it is likely to be =
submerged.  And one can envision that with low fuel level in the strake, =
and we do a little nose down for awhile, the line could fill with air.  =
It may take a little while for the air to resolve where it's going; =
upstream or into the sump tank.  And of course, with no vent in the sump =
it will hang around at the top of the tank until the next preflight when =
we open the purge valve.

  I can believe that air trapped in a sump without a vent would find its =
way back to the strake; but, don't forget, that won't happen until the =
air builds in the top of the sump down to the level of the tube from the =
stake tank - at which point the low fuel light will probably be on or =
blinking. =20

  So the inherent weakness in the system design is relying on gravity =
feed in an airplane where the design doesn't give us much of a gravity =
head (pressure).  Gravity feed is also a plus - simplicity.  We can =
always do as Jean suggested, and all the low-wing planes do; pump the =
fuel from the strakes.  Or we can be meticulous about sealing the fuel =
caps, and maybe valving off the sump vent.

  One further note for those of us with fuel injection engines where =
fuel is bypassed back from the pressure regulator to the sump; we may =
need to vent the sump to avoid the buildup of bubbles of vapor fractions =
that form as a result of the sudden expansion coming out of the pressure =
regulator.  Maybe they will re-condense; or maybe we are precluded from =
valving off the sump vent.

  Sorry to ramble on.  Someone please respond so I know if this message =
got posted, because some e-mail bug still prevents me from getting a =
copy of what I post.

  Al

------=_NextPart_000_0030_01C353D6.06607F80

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE>@font-face {
	font-family: Verdana;
}
@font-face {
	font-family: Nimrod;
}
@page Section1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 62.3pt 1.0in 62.3pt; }
P.MsoNormal {
	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"
}
LI.MsoNormal {
	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"
}
DIV.MsoNormal {