REFLECTOR:Low fuel light

KeithHallsten reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 16:17:27 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C35391.679CD2C0

Bob,

Thanks for the data point!  Your analysis seems logical to me, except =
that reduced indicated airspeed is LOWER pressure in the vent line =
(provided that the vent opening faces forward, somewhat like a pitot =
tube).  If the vent line doesn't face forward, maybe the slight nose-up =
attitude at higher elevations is enough to increase the (relative) =
pressure on the bottom of the fuselage, where the vent inlet is located. =
 Either way, if we applied some positive pressure to the strake tanks =
that we did NOT apply to the sump tank, it would help to keep the sump =
tank full!

Keith
=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: SlvEgl99@aol.com=20
  To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2003 3:22 PM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Low fuel light

  On my XL, the only time I ever see any low fuel flashing light is at =
10,500 feet or so. That has happened twice, once over Southern =
California going over the mountains, and once here in Florida seeking a =
way past a thunderstorm. In both cases I was at cruise, but obviously =
had an increased angle of attack due to thin air at altitude (or so I =
thought). The warning light would flash on for a second then be off for =
5-10 seconds then flash again. As soon as I started a descent the light =
remained off.

  I attrubuted this to "mushing along" a bit at high altitude and =
reduced air speed causing high pressure on the vent line.  Maybe just a =
stupid thought, but it gave me confidence to remain at that altitude and =
complete the flight that I wanted to.=20

  Bob Wood
------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C35391.679CD2C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Bob,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks for the data point!&nbsp; Your =
analysis=20
seems logical to me, except that reduced indicated airspeed is LOWER =
pressure in=20
the vent line (provided that the vent opening&nbsp;faces forward, =
somewhat like=20
a pitot tube).&nbsp; If the vent line doesn't face forward, maybe the =
slight=20
nose-up attitude at higher elevations is enough to increase the =
(relative)=20
pressure on the bottom of the fuselage, where the vent inlet is =
located.&nbsp;=20
Either way, if we applied some positive pressure to the strake tanks =
that we did=20
NOT apply to the sump tank, it would help to keep the sump tank=20
full!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Keith</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3DSlvEgl99@aol.com =
href=3D"mailto:SlvEgl99@aol.com">SlvEgl99@aol.com</A>=20
  </DIV>
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, July 26, 2003 =
3:22=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:Low fuel =

  light</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV><FONT face=3Darial,helvetica><FONT lang=3D0 =
face=3DArial size=3D2=20
  FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF">On my XL, the only time I ever see any low fuel =
flashing=20
  light is at 10,500 feet or so. That has happened twice, once over =
Southern=20
  California going over the mountains, and once here in Florida seeking =
a way=20
  past a thunderstorm. In both cases I was at cruise, but obviously had =
an=20
  increased angle of attack due to thin air at altitude (or so I =
thought). The=20
  warning light would flash on for a second then be off for 5-10 seconds =
then=20
  flash again. As soon as I started a descent the light remained =
off.<BR><BR>I=20
  attrubuted this to "mushing along" a bit at high altitude and reduced =
air=20
  speed causing high pressure on the vent line.&nbsp; Maybe just a =
stupid=20
  thought, but it gave me confidence to remain at that altitude and =
complete the=20
  flight that I wanted to. <BR><BR>Bob Wood</FONT>=20
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C35391.679CD2C0--