REFLECTOR:Fuel Tank Leak Tests

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:14:03 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_01A9_01C3528D.17B4D820

You can use the pressure side of a vacuum cleaner or even your air =
compressor, just make sure the U tube water manometer is in the circuit =
such the water blows out and prevents the tanks from being over =
pressurized.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: John Dibble=20
  To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 4:40 PM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Fuel Tank Leak Tests

  The problem isn't that I can't blow hard enough, it's that after =
blowing for several minutes I don't get enough pressure to measure on my =
improvised water manometer.  It takes a lot of blowing to fill 60 =
gallons of tank.=20
  John=20

  NMFlyer1@aol.com wrote:=20

    Whilst checking my tanks for leaks, I developed a method for getting =
a 'little more pressure than I could blow by mouth.=20
    I purchased a bag of those big party balloons. I found that 1 =
balloon did not supply any more pressure than I could blow by mouth, so =
I put one balloon inside another and filled the inner with an air =
compressor.  That supplied a nice constant pressure without the risk of =
blowing up the tanks. It also minimizes the leaking through the balloon =
skin.=20

    This allowed me to find the few pinhole leaks pretty quickly by =
myself. It also helps make sure the fuel caps are sealing correctly if =
you insure all other outlets are clamped off.=20

    Kurt Winker

------=_NextPart_000_01A9_01C3528D.17B4D820

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dkoi8-r">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>You can use the pressure side of a vacuum cleaner or =
even your=20
air compressor, just make sure the U tube water manometer is in the =
circuit such=20
the water blows out and prevents the tanks from being over=20
pressurized.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Daminetech@dixie-net.com =
href=3D"mailto:aminetech@dixie-net.com">John=20
  Dibble</A> </DIV>
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, July 24, 2003 =
4:40=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:Fuel =
Tank Leak=20
  Tests</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>The problem isn't that I can't blow hard enough, it's =
that=20
  after blowing for several minutes I don't get enough pressure to =
measure on my=20
  improvised water manometer.&nbsp; It takes a lot of blowing to fill 60 =
gallons=20
  of tank.=20
  <P>John=20
  <P><A href=3D"mailto:NMFlyer1@aol.com">NMFlyer1@aol.com</A> wrote:=20
  <BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=3D"CITE"><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D-1>Whilst =
checking my=20
    tanks for leaks, I developed a method for getting a 'little more =
pressure=20
    than I could blow by mouth.</FONT></FONT>=20
    <P><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D-1>I purchased a bag of those big =
party=20
    balloons. I found that 1 balloon did not supply any more pressure =
than I=20
    could blow by mouth, so I put one balloon inside another and filled =
the=20
    inner with an air compressor.&nbsp; That supplied a nice constant =
pressure=20
    without the risk of blowing up the tanks. It also minimizes the =
leaking=20
    through the balloon skin.</FONT></FONT>=20
    <P><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D-1>This allowed me to find the =
few pinhole=20
    leaks pretty quickly by myself. It also helps make sure the fuel =
caps are=20
    sealing correctly if you insure all other outlets are clamped=20
    off.</FONT></FONT>=20
    <P><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D-1>Kurt=20
Winker</FONT></FONT></P></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_01A9_01C3528D.17B4D820--