Imbalanced fuel flow: was Re: REFLECTOR:Low fuel light

Scott Derrick reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 07:56:11 -0600

Chuck,

I'd bet your plane is not trimmed correctly. I had imbalance tanks after
flying a short while when I first bought my plane. I futzed with the
caps. no change.

The ball was not quite centered within the lubber lines when I was
flying straight and level.

So I tried this.  I flew a while until the tanks were 5-6 gallons
different, then I held a rudder in to put the ball on the opposite side
it was sitting on but all the way on the other side of the lubber line.
Flew a very short while and the tanks evened out.

If you shim out the correct rudder so the ball is exactly in the middle
  I think your imbalance will be cured. Its a simple fix, just shim out
the correct rudder to get the ball centered. Its an easy thing to try, I
used a dab of JB Weld to shim it out.

Scott