REFLECTOR:Low fuel light & Vent System

KeithHallsten reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:12:01 -0700

Brett,
I think you misunderstood my proposal!  I'm not shutting off the entire vent
system!  The sump tank will still be vented through the 3/8" fuel lines,
strakes, and strake vents bback to the manifold, so there won't be any
significant flow restriction or tank crushing going on.
Keith

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brett Ferrell" <bferrell@123mail.net>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 6:46 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Low fuel light - NO!

> Please, please, please do not do this (install a vent shutoff valve)!  Air
must enter the system as the fuel drains out or 1 of 2 really bad things
will happen.
> 1)  Pop-Bottle plug effect - where the gas glug-glug-glugs to your engine,
or stops altogther as air cannot replace the lost fluid-or-
> 2)  The tanks will crush as the fuel pulls vacuum on the tank and the
outside air pressure pops the strake open

> Having seen a 30,000 industrial tank get crushed like a soda can from a
plugged vent & overflow line, I'm horrified by the idea of this happening in
flight.  Allowing air into the tanks is the primary purpose of the vent, and
why you should install the check valve to allow cabin air into the tanks
(but no gas-vapor into the cabin) should the external vent get blocked by
ice.

> If there's an adequate fuel level in the stakes, an air bubble should not
be able to form in the sump, as the head pressure from the strakes should
fill it to the level (in the vent line) of the strakes (fluids seek their
own level and all).  If a bubble were to form it would indicate that the
fuel pump is pulling the level faster than the tanks can replenish it.