REFLECTOR:Accidents, statistics and random thoughts

Simon Aegerter reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:53:51 +0200

Scott:

Your points are well taken and I agree with or at least understand
most of your arguments. However, I have to take issue with the
following statement:

>That data that comes into the factory
>following accidents and incidents is no different, and no more complete than
>what is reported in the NTSB report.

I have in my collection of Velocity accidents and incidents 48 items
of which only 35 ever made it to the NTSB files. The other 13 either
happened abroad or escaped the NTSB's attention. Yet I am certain
that the factory is aware of all of them and then some. In fact, I
have the information about some of them from you people. In
conversations with the Swings I am often impressed by the amount of
detailed knowledge about the chain of events that led to an accident
and that went far beyond the published NTSB report.

Besides, I think the factory would do a lousy job of safety analysis
if they were to limit themselves to reading the NTSP reports.
Obviously and rightfully, they don't.

Best
Simon
--