REFLECTOR:Belly NACA

Alexander Balic reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 08:48:44 -0500

Chris,
it is at the hanger at the moment, but I would estimate that the opening is
approx. 1 1/2" x 14"  and the length of the scoop from the foreword tip to
the inlet is about 28" and about another 18 or so behind to fair back into
the lower cowl- for me, I need to use it, because I can't cut into the skin
in the belly- gear bulkhead is down there with pulleys, plus the sump is
already sandwiched between the spar and the floor, so external is the way to
go for me, I would think that it would be a lot easier also, but a tad more
drag inducing......

Alex

PS, I'll try to get some pictures of it for you in the next day or so- just
feels like an ez bake oven in that hanger right now - the fan I have just
makes it into a convection oven........

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of CBarber
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2003 10:43 PM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Belly NACA

Alex, Group

Is that "external belly NACA" a single scoop or a set of two like on the
top.  I assume it does not extrude down so far as to be a big drag problem.
I don't know if two on the bottom or one is better/more efficient etc.  I am
considering just making them out of the belly skin like they were done on
the top before VeloInc started supplying the premade ones. It does not seem
that difficult.  By any chance do you have the dimension on the one for the
XL.  Unless it is huge, it may be worth considering for my application.
Obviously I am in the preliminary planning/investigation phase.  I just know
this will probably be easier now than later.  And since I am trying it get
the cash to buy my wings, I gotta do something productive on the project
<g>.  As always, thanks.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber