REFLECTOR:173RG - IO-540 COMBO ... OH NO!

Dennis Martin reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 19 Jul 2003 08:07:25 -0600

--============_-1153498842==_ma============

Tom,

1.How many degrees have you tilted the engine?   Ask the factory
what's the maximum upward tilt (using more washers or spacers on both
the middle and bottom engine mounts).  One degree can make a big
difference back at the end of the prop extension.

2. Switch to fixed gear.  I know you can't do that, but it does give
a few inches extra clearance with the big "tundra" size tires.

Good luck.  Craig Catto can build any prop you need, so I'd stay in
close contact with him.

All the best,
Dennis Martin

>Please, please, please ... I need information.  I know there are a
>few weirdoes like me who chose to put the IO-540 on the 173RG.  And
>I know there are some special challenges ... but have any of you run
>into this yet?
>

>I did some rotation tests with my brand new three-blade MT Prop.
>Ouch!  I can't use it.  The prop will strike at a normal rotation.
>So I did some measuring ... and unless I'm crazy ... it looks like I
>need 30" blades to be safe!  That's only a 60" prop!
>

>Can that be so?  I believe I did not exaggerate the rotation.  And
>my plane in standard in every way (except for the engine).
>

>The factory told me I could expect a problem with clearance ... but
>they said they had a plane there that flew away with my combo and a
>four-blade prop.  Was it longer than 60"?  Was the point of rotation
>changed by moving the gear? (that would be too late for me).
>

>What is the alternative?
>

>My prop show (an MT Dealer) says the factory may be able to come up
>with a custom five-blade prop for my 325 horsepower configuration.
> Of course, I would only have to get a large home equity loan!
>

>HELP!!!!!!!!

--============_-1153498842==_ma============

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
 --></style><title>Re: REFLECTOR:173RG - IO-540 COMBO ... OH
the factory what's the maximum upward tilt (using more washers or
spacers on both the middle and bottom engine mounts).&nbsp; One degree
can make a big difference back at the end of the prop extension.</div>
does give a few inches extra clearance with the big &quot;tundra&quot;
size tires.</div>
stay in close contact with him.</div>
please, please ... I need information.&nbsp; I know there are a few
weirdoes like me who chose to put the IO-540 on the 173RG.&nbsp; And I
know there are some special challenges ... but have any of you run
into this yet?</font><br>
size="-1">&nbsp;</font><br>
rotation tests with my brand new three-blade MT Prop.&nbsp; Ouch!&nbsp;
I can't use it.&nbsp; The prop will strike at a normal rotation.&nbsp;
So I did some measuring ... and unless I'm crazy ... it looks like I
need 30" blades to be safe!&nbsp; That's only a 60"
prop!</font><br>
size="-1">&nbsp;</font><br>
so?&nbsp; I believe I did not exaggerate the rotation.&nbsp; And my
plane in standard in every way (except for the engine).</font><br>
size="-1">&nbsp;</font><br>
told me I could expect a problem with clearance ... but they said they
had a plane there that flew away with my combo and a four-blade prop.
&nbsp;Was it longer than 60"?&nbsp; Was the point of rotation
changed by moving the gear? (that would be too late for
me).</font><br>
size="-1">&nbsp;</font><br>
alternative?</font><br>
size="-1">&nbsp;</font><br>
(an MT Dealer) says the factory may be able to come up with a custom
five-blade prop for my 325 horsepower configuration. &nbsp;Of course,
I would only have to get a large home equity loan!</font><br>
size="-1">&nbsp;</font><br>
size="-1">HELP!!!!!!!!</font><br>
size="-1">&nbsp;</font><br>
face="Times New Roman">&nbsp;</font><br>
face="Times New Roman">&nbsp;</font><br>