REFLECTOR:Secondary fire detection

Scott Derrick reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 23:10:46 -0600

I wonder about fire detection equipment.

You don't want false positives, that could be as bad or worse than a
real fire.  If I thought I was on fire I'm throwing the gear out, the
speed brake, at cruise speed, pulling the engine back to idle and shock
cooling that mother on the way down at one knot under VNE!  TO find out
later that you put your gear doors through the prop and then landed off
field and removed the rest of the gear because of a false alarm... not good.

I keep hearing ideas about multiple sensors, multiple cameras, MUX boxes
and what not. My cynical nature says "Boy these folks have never owned
and maintained a flying airplane before."  It takes a major amount of
time and money to keep a standard radio stack alive and well, now you
want to add more?

I realize that an engine fire is not as apparent in a pusher, but
exactly how many airplanes have gone down because of a fire where people
died?  Would money and time be better spent on really clean and secure
engine installations?

Scott