REFLECTOR:Nose Wheel Shimmy Brake Problem (Update)

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 21:06:32 EDT

So far have:
Balanced and checked nose wheel tire for out of round.
Adjusted main gear wheels for proper toe in and camber.
Tightened  main gear and nose gear pivot bolts to minimize excess play
Replaced nose gear fork as there was considerable wear in previous fork
bushing.
Tightened shimmy damper force on nose wheel well above numbers given by
Velocity.
The only item I can find out of spec is that the bottom end of the nose gear
strut tilts forward about 7 degrees (from vertical) and factory says it should
be about 2 degrees. Note: Adding weight to nose or braking causes the 7
degrees to INCREASE.

Still get some nose wheel shimmy (not real serious) around 20 to 30 mph. (1)
when applying fairly heavy braking and am alone in A/C. (2) when I have a
front seat passenger without any braking ( applying brakes aggravates the shimmy).

Anyone out there having similar problems or have any suggestions?

Don White  N19DW   XL/RG