REFLECTOR:CONFUSION

steve korney reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 04:22:04 +0000

Tom...

You just talked to the best source for Velocity information in the
country...Alan Shaw is the Velocity Guru...He's been around forever and
knows more about Velocity then anyone else...Take what he says for the truth
about Velocity and go from there...

Best...Steve...

Tom wrote:

I have a 173 Elite RG with an IO-540 engine.  I just spoke to Alan Shaw
and he swears that a constant speed prop is NOT necessary.  He says the
added weight is not worth it and it will actually cut down your cruise
speeds a bit.  He said climb performance won't be a problem with that
engine ... and the Velocity will be better off without the extra weight
back there.

He recommended a three-blade performance prop made by Performance Props
in Arizona.  He said it should be put on a five inch extension and it
will fit perfectly with the cowl he designed.

He said the fixed pitch also helps with cooling because it can get
closer to the big cowl openings on each side of the prop and it will
actually "suck out" air creating a cooling effect.

He also said that the exhaust pointing straight out the back through two
ports (bottom left and right) will actually cause a venturi effect
inside the cowl ... which will force cool air to exit around it - again
aiding in the cooling of the engine.

He talked for a long time and sounded completely confident and
knowledgeable.

Since his advice seems to be contrary to a lot of other opinions ... my
question to you is this:

DOES IT SOUND REASONABLE?

I am getting to a point where I need to make some decisions.  Any
feedback will be appreciated.  The discussions I have seen here are very
intelligent and I want to take advantage of your BRAINS.

Thanks in advance.

Tom Martino
www.troubleshoter.com <http://www.troubleshoter.com/>