REFLECTOR: Exhaust systems

Brian Michalk reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:14:37 -0500

Certainly, fuel burns at a specific temperature at a specific condition.
I was comparing carbureted engines(O360, not IO360) on purpose, because
there doesn't exist a certified fuel injected Franklin against which to
compare.  I could cite someone's homebuilt fuel injected Franklin dyno data,
but that's only a single data point, and is not very relevant to the
discussion.

The point I was trying to make is that the Franklin is 10 cubic inches
smaller than the Lycoming, yet it has more certified horspower.  Why?  It's
in the compression ratio, and the cam design.  Although the original topic
was exhaust gas temperature, I'll keep my comments focused mainly on
compression ratio, because I feel that is the reason for lower EGTs, and
most of the power difference.

Increasing the compression ratio increases horsepower for the same amount of
air/fuel.  But you are right, there is no free lunch.  The tradeoff is that
the Franklin can only use 100 avgas.  Not good considering the future of
100LL. It's either that, or retard the timing to make sure detonation
doesn't happen.  Retard the timing, more burning mass goes out the tailpipe,
higher EGT's.

The Franklin is just a very efficient engine.  It keeps the fire inside the
cylinders longer, and scavenges better, meaning a much better intake charge
for the next bang.  EGT and BSFC usually are inversely proportional.  I can
look up my engines book as it was run on the factory dyno and give you my
BSFC.

The most efficient engine would have an EGT that is the same as the intake
temperature.  That would mean 100% energy extraction from the fuel.  Where
can I get one of those?

If you want, I can provide references.  I have a copy of Taylor, and
Heywood.  I'm sure I can find a chart somewhere in the text relating some
combination of EGT/torque/compression ratio/BSFC.

As a side note, I was talking to a NASA engineer years ago about
experimental engines they were testing.  The engine was mostly carbon fiber,
and ceramic.  There was no oil, and no cooling system.  Completely self
lubricating.  They wanted to let the engine come up to combustion
temperatures to extract as much energy from the fuel as possible.  He said
they got some good BSFC numbers, but had problems with engines siezing, due
to the expansion of various materials.  The fuel was very expensive too.  It
had to resist pre-ignition due to the incredible heat.