REFLECTOR:Scott's question "VV is it worth it?"

Greg Poole reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:44:37 +1000

Jerry,

There are others out here - particularly in distant countries that share
Scott's base analysis of VV content and putting VV out only via the printed
medium. I have previously put my thoughts to Duane Swing via email but fear,
as indicated by another Reflectorite, that the request for feedback in this
regard is only pertinent when it contains the answers that the factory wants
to hear. I have a friend with a long finished Lancair 360 that still
receives a posted complimentary newsletter update despite that his aircraft
has been finished for 5 years.

On principle, I sorely resent only being able to obtain KPC's and technical
developments via VV (- certainly not client friendly and a form of extortion
IMHO) - especially when the majority of us have access (even via a relative
or friend) to this very modern means that I am currently using to
communicate with you. I appreciate there are those that have an aversion to
computers, but why should we cater to the lowest denominator (i.e.:
minority)? For timeliness and production cost nothing beats this medium
....and I cannot stand the argument that the cost of production is going to
be any greater than currently as the technical info and articles have to be
typed anyway and can be simply uploaded to the web.

The factory has a web site already - why is it not possible to put VV issues
on it? ...and those that want hard copy can have them printed off. On
principle, I do not want to pay for international mail and 4 issues of VV
per year at the prevailing exchange rates. I subscribed to VV for several
years and bought all the back issues to ensure I got all the technical info
necessary to build a Velocity safely. Most of this information would have
optimally been readily available in updated manuals (thank goodness they
finally got around to doing it) and in searchable digests instead of having
to trudge through allot of event material that is of limited relevance to
most of us (perhaps not all!) overseas Velocity people. At one stage due to
exchange rate effects, I effectively paid AUD$20 per issue....when I
analysed several editions and took the repetitious advertisements, the U.S.
event reports/promotional stuff out, and some factory editorial out , it was
costing me something like $2.37 per page!

Do I want strong technical articles on building and flying Velocity
aircraft, and factory updates?  You bet! ....should I pay for paper and
postage when there is a more modern and convenient medium??  Well, I
believe the silent majority has been voting with their feet and hence the
urgings to subscribe. I speak regularly with  Velocity friends in the U.S.
and regularly check if there is anything new that I should know about - if
it is important, I get to hear about it.

Now I know my view is not shared by my friend Jeff Barnes and several others
including yourself Jerry, but you should know that Scott is not alone in
wanting change for the better in this area.

Regards from Down Under,
Greg in Sydney.