REFLECTOR:Scott's question "VV is it worth it?"

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 14:46:27 -0400

Jerry,

Thoughtful comments and well taken.  I'm definitely in favor of neutral,
civilized debate, however, when someone disagrees with me, I feel that they
are probably ALL A BUNCH OF SODOMITES AND I HOPE THEY GET AIDS AND DIE!!!!!!

Chuck
N27GV

P.S.  If you've never had the estimable pleasure of listening to the Savage
Nation radio (and formerly TV) program, you wouldn't understand, so you are
permitted to ignore my posting (which most do anyhow).

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Jerry.Brainard@anthem.com
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 9:57 AM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Cc: duanes@velocityaircraft.com; reflector@tvbf.org;
reflector-admin@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Scott's question "VV is it worth it?"

Scott,

Thanks for the exposition of your views of the Velocity Views (V V).

In my opinion, at the current subscription cost, V V provides a good value.
If one is looking at V V as solely a source of KPC's, then it is probably
not the vehicle of choice.

I suggest the real extra value to me is what you inappropriately call Bull
Shit.  Without the V V, I will not see the authoritative technical
information.  I would not have the opportunity to better know those at the
factory.  I would not know about what the factory is doing and planning.  I
would not see the "stupid builder tricks" and from those learn how not to
do things.  Without V V, what would be the factual source for those areas
that are important to the factory.

V V is a place where I get information about people.  V V is one place that
I get to know Velocity owners.  I see this as a component of strengthening
the Velocity Owners community.  This is an area where builders can share
ideas openly.

Yes the Reflector does provide a conduit for the exchange of ideas.  I
would suggest that an analysis of the Reflector postings shows a
significant content that you don't consider worthwhile.  Even worse, the
Reflector can be intimidating because, without editorial control (and there
should not be editing in this type of forum) responses can become personal
attacks. The vitriolic responses that we often see do not promote free and
open communication.  Rather, they attempt to beat the opposing opinion out
of existence with emotional intimidation rather than factual response.  So
I would add those responses to the no value count.

While I understand that the cost of kits to future builders may not be of
immediate concern to those who have already purchased a Velocity.  I
suggest it will be a concern in the future viability of the company and
therefore, the owner community.  Yes I understand that it seems like a
small addition, but it is an additional cost and higher cost means
decreasing buyers.  The best way to ensure the continued evolution of the
breed is to continue selling kits.  When the factory no longer sells kits,
the idea conduit will begin to close, interest in Velocity's will decline
and the value of the orphans we own will begin to decrease.

Since this has been an area of much posturing and venom in the past, I have
worked to keep the tone of this note as neutral.  If I have failed, I
apologize.  What I am hoping to encourage is thoughtful responses that
provide open communication and meaningful feedback to Duane and Velocity.
I hope that others will look at the issues in the broader view and let
Duane know their thoughts.

Jerry

                      Scott Derrick

                      <scott@tnstaafl.n        To:       reflector@tvbf.org,
duanes@velocityaircraft.com
                      et>                      cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  REFLECTOR:Scott's
question "VV is it worth it?"
                      reflector-admin@t

                      vbf.org

                      07/02/03 10:55 PM

                      Please respond to

                      reflector

I think this topic has been run through the mill numerous times, but
Duane asked so here goes.

Last year about this time I was on the fence about re-subscribing.  I
bought my V already built though it was in need of numerous repairs and
tweaking t get it fly able.  I want to fly a safe plane and try to avail
myself of all available information to help me maintain and modify my
aircraft. SO the question is does VV provide this service and the
service it provides is it worth the cost of $45 a year.

There were 20 pages in this quarters news letter.

Here's how I broke them down.

6 pages on the Williamsburg Fly In,  Wasted bull shit.

1/3 page on KPC's, Good stuff!

1 page Builders hints, good stuff.

2 pages Factory News, 1 page on the WIlliamsburg Flyin, 1/2 bullshit 1/2
good stuff

1.5 Factory notices, most a repeat every issue,  2/3 bullshit 1/3 good
stuff

1.5 pages Scott Baker, 1.2 on Williamsburg/Oshkosh, 1.2 bull shit, 1/2
good stuff

2 pages A&P Talks, good stuff

1 page Electronics, good stuff

2 pages Subscription info, all bull shit

1.5 builders Forums, good stuff

1.5 ads, most repeats good stuff

so we have about 11 pages of bull shit and 9 pages of good stuff all
printed on very nice paper in a magazine format.

The last issue I noticed had a large amount of fluff(bull shit).  I
realize that the intrinsic worth of the VV is very large but the current
implementation sucks.

Scott

Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose