REFLECTOR:Clearances to flight-control surfaces

KeithHallsten reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 12 Jul 2003 21:34:55 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C348BD.6FBECD20

Let's discuss another imponderable:
=20
How much clearance should we be shooting for between the ends of the =
aileron (or elevator) and the adjacent parts of the wings?  I am aiming =
for about a tongue-depressor thickness at this point, but I was talking =
to an RV builder, and he said that Van's specifies 0.25 inch!

I have heard of at least one case of control surface binding due to =
inadequate clearance on a composite aircraft, which resulted in a fatal =
crash.  We need to provide enough clearance to allow for in-flight =
flexing of the components, as well as extra space for bits of debris =
(including ice).  On the other hand, it's obvious that extra clearance =
will induce more drag and loss of lift.  Besides, extra-wide gaps look =
bad!

So, how much clearance is "just enough"?!?!?

Keith Hallsten
------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C348BD.6FBECD20

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Let's discuss another =
imponderable:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>How much clearance should we be =
shooting for=20
between the ends of the aileron (or elevator) and the adjacent parts of =
the=20
wings?&nbsp; I am aiming for about a tongue-depressor&nbsp;thickness at =
this=20
point, but I was talking to an RV builder, and he said that Van's =
specifies 0.25=20
inch!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have heard of at least one case of =
control=20
surface binding due to inadequate clearance on a composite aircraft, =
which=20
resulted in a fatal crash.&nbsp; We need to provide enough clearance to =
allow=20
for in-flight flexing of the components, as well as extra space for bits =
of=20
debris (including ice).&nbsp; On the other hand, it's obvious that extra =

clearance will induce more drag and loss of lift.&nbsp; Besides, =
extra-wide gaps=20
look bad!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So, how much clearance is "just=20
enough"?!?!?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Keith =
Hallsten</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C348BD.6FBECD20--