REFLECTOR:Navaid Autopilot

Alexander Balic reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 08:56:05 -0500

Brian,

About the PID control, I have used them regularly in industrial
applications- usually for temperature controllers, but for other things as
well, they are great when they have the chance to tune themselves to the
oscillations of the system that they are connected to, to reduce undershoot
and overshoot. What they are designed to do as you said is to reduce the
amount of oscillations that occur within a corrective action- as in a curing
oven for example, the unit tunes to the mass of the oven, and the lag in the
heating system, so if the oven is under temp, it will turn the elements on
with the proper amount of amperage and the proper amount of time so that as
the temp approaches the set temp, the elements will turn off just at the
correct moment to prevent the temp from overshooting ( thermostats
overshoot) we used them for viscosity control with great success also.  The
problems that all of the PID controllers that I have used (Omron and AB) is
that they are not that good at correcting rapid oscillation, nor are they
good if you change the system in which they are controlling on a regular
basis. I suspect that this is what might be happening if indeed the AP uses
this technology to determine servo throw.  If the turbulence was the same
every time the aircraft was upset, and the aircraft CG and trim situation
was the same, then the PID system would have the required number of
oscillations to tune. but since none of those elements are constants, I
would think that the PID system would remain in a tuning state, and have
great difficulty determining the correct outputs to send to the servos to
dampen the pitch oscillations properly. But if the AP can not even keep the
aircraft level in a non-turbulence state, then it seems that there is
something else wrong, since the PID system should have no trouble keeping
things in order.