REFLECTOR: Exhaust systems

John Dibble reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:26:54 -0400

I see the same big drop only it is REVERSED.  I get the big drop when I turn the mag off, so I
question the EI.  However I just read in the Franklin manual that the mag/EI should be tested
ONLY at 1100-1200 rpm and at 2300-2400 rpm as other speeds will result in large drops.  So I
will check this out.
My EGT increases with either the mag of EI off.  This seems logical since the combustion will
be less complete during the power stroke and more will occur in the exhaust cycle.
My Rose EI has some "smarts", but not as much as you suggest.  It simply adjusts timing
depending on both rpm and map (higher rpm=more advance, lower map=more advance).  The maximum
advance is supposed to be 28 degrees which is where the mag runs all the time except for
starting.
The EI is supposed to be better because it gives a stronger spark of longer duration.  To take
full advantage of this I understand that the plug gap should be increased to .028, but I
haven't figured out how to do that yet because the available tools gap to about .018 only.
That's all I know so far.....
My mag/EI toggle switches must be pulled out before they can be moved to protect from
accidental bumping.

John