REFLECTOR: Exhaust systems

Tom Martino reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 08:26:48 -0600

This whole thing is giving me a headache!  I have a custom cowling
(provided by Alan Shaw) with left and right holes exiting straight out
the back.  It was part of his conversion package for the IO-540 on the
173RG.

It looks so cool!  Each side has three into one ... but it blows right
through the prop (of course nothing has been fired up yet).

I would hate to change all that!  I was told that the way the exhaust
stacks fit through the exit holes ... creates a "air mix" with a jacket
of air around the exhaust.  Who knows?

Bottom line:  I don't want to burn a prop!  Does anyone have experience
with this cowling? Will a four-blade prop make a difference?

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Means [mailto:rgvelocity@lmf.net]
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 6:52 AM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Exhaust systems

Mike,

So does this mean 11" is okay or do you have the burnt prop problem?

Did you start closer to the prop and cut it back to where 11" is the
minimum?

I'm trying to design a custom exhaust and since this is a "hot" topic
wanted
to find out what the general experience is with "minimum acceptable"
distance to avoid the problem. Thanks for anyone's input.

Mark