Re[2]: REFLECTOR: Exhaust systems

steve reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:43:09 +0800

Hi John,

This is very interesting......

Question: You are at the run up bay, set RPM to xxxrpm ready to do a mag check.
You turn off one mag (or EI). The RPM drops by some value (50-100rpm??)What
happens to your EGT ???  Does it;

a) stay the same

b) Decrease to reflect the small loss of power (rpm drop)

c) Increase

I thought the answer would be b) but guess what, the correct answer is c).

I have asked many, some apparent 'experts' but have never had a satisfactory
answer to why this is so.

I can understand (I think) why the EGT increases when you switch the mag OFF and
run on only the EI. We know that the egt will increase when you are on a single
spark plug firing as outlined above. Now take into consideration that the EI has
some 'smarts' and can both detect the power drop when you turn off the mag and
can adjust the timing to try to recover some lost power.  This adjusting of the
timing probably accounts for the extra difference you see when running on the EI
only as compared to the mag only. Just don't ask me to explain it..... case I
don't know. Maybe its simply that the EI is more *efficient**.

More EI ramblings (sorry).....

 The EI's are advertised as 'More power from your engine' or 'Saves you fuel'
and to a degree this is true ... you will produce more power with EI than mags
for a certain fuel flow or, you can power back a bit to duplicate the
performance you saw using Mags and of course you are now using less fuel (cause
you powered back).

Light Speed EI claim as much as 10% fuel saving if you switch out 2 mags for a
dual EI. Some round the worlders back up this claim. All of this goes to prove
that EI allow the engine to be more *efficient*  (we knew that already).

I have 1 EI and 1 mag on my Franklin Velocity, I can guarantee that most people
are amazed at the different 'mag drops' I get during run ups .... turn the mag
off....small rpm drop (about 30-50 rpm)  ....turn the EI off Huge rpm drop
250-300 rpm !!  used to be concerned that the mag was faulty, replaced it with
the other new mag, timed it ..... no difference!   On an early test flight
climbed to 2000' after T/O in moderate turbulence (bouncing around) suddenly
felt/heard power loss guessed about 20% ....... noticed all 6 egt's rising
significantly, must be something serious..... pucker factor also on the rise,
decided to get down asap ..... uneventful landing..... long story short, I had
knocked the overhead switch panel with my headset in all the bumping around
whilst leaning forward to check for other traffic and knocked the EI OFF !!!!
something to be aware of EI or Mags (unless you have a key type
ignition/starter).