REFLECTOR:STEC 30 autopilot

Wayne Lanza reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 23:25:40 -0400

--Apple-Mail-8-43445488
	delsp=yes;
	charset=US-ASCII;
	format=flowed

Hi Bob,
  What did I do now!? I don't remember denying anything... The deal with
the STec 30 is that you've got to
change a couple of resistors to adjust the gain (sensitivity) of the
pitch and/or roll amplifiers in the main unit.
The first unit that I did this to (as per STec) was on Lynn Elsner's
airplane. The roll axis would be OK and go
bonkers once in a while and then slowly stop oscillating. The same
phenomenon has occurred with the pitch
axis - usually not as bad. Lynn's airplane finally ended up with a
small potentiometer hanging out of the 30's
T/C gyro that is kept tucked away under the panel. This was the
recommended fix after several resistor values
were tried and abandoned. This really bugs me! We even tried replacing
the pot with an equal fixed resistor
after the issue seemed resolved - it worked for a while then acted up
again. I've installed about a dozen Stec
30's and a couple of 55's, I'm not too impressed with the 30's. Three
units had to be sent back for gyro failures
and two of those hadn't even flown yet! What the heck are they doing?
Once the STec's are in and 'tweaked'
they seem to do fine, it's just unsettling to have to fool with them so
that you don't have the stick slapping about!

  Again, as far as my denying the fix procedure - I'm defenseless (I
can't remember any more...) Give me a yell
after Oshkosh if you've got time to fly to the shop. I have the STec
schematics and we can try to get it right.

Regards to All,
Wayne Lanza

P.S. I'll be at Oshkosh with Velocity. please stop by & say hello-
_____________

On Wednesday, July 9, 2003, at 05:46 PM, SlvEgl99@aol.com wrote:

> Jack,
>
> When I was building at Velocity Wayne Lanza told me of an electronic
> fix (Inserting a resistor in a curcuit as I recall). When I was ready
> to fly I asked him to do it for me and he denied ever having said
> anything about it. So I rigged a coupling with about 1/4 inch slide on
> the aileron bell crank where the roll servo attaches. Works well.
>
> If you do fine an electronic fix, I would like to learn of it. Also
> would like one for pitch.
>
> Bob Wood

--Apple-Mail-8-43445488

[...]

Bob Wood</smaller></fontfamily>