REFLECTOR: Exhaust systems

Pat Shea reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 04:35:33 -0700 (PDT)

Keith/Richard/Wayne,

I had Clinton at Custom Aircraft Parts design a new
exhaust system specifically for the XL w/ an IO-540
that he felt would not be prone to cracking (obvious
reasons), wasn't forward facing (fire concerns), and
wasn't rearward facing (prop cooking issues w/ IO-540
& three blades). There is considerably more cowl
clearance than my factory system w/ no blisters or
bulges required.
 Keith, I'm not flying so no field report yet -
Clinton might be able to give you a reference to
someone who is flying w/ this system. As far as the
90* bends, that probably will be more aerodynamic -
that exhaust plume exiting at least 90* to the
airstream can't be pretty. I would think you'd want
there to be 1 1/2" - 2" between the outside of the
lower cowl and the top of the exhaust pipe after the
bend to avoid permanent cowling stains, which means
there's going to be 4"-5" of pipe exposed to the
airstream. That shouldn't be an issue w/ this system,
although I think that much pipe sticking could cause
problems w/ a forward facing stack. Hopefully we can
compare notes once we're both flying!

Best, Pat