REFLECTOR:Exhuast systems

Pat Shea reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 12:54:25 -0700 (PDT)

 Another thing to consider is the greater potential
for fire damage from an exhaust failure with a forward
facing system. If the stack breaks off just before the
cantilevered tailpipe section (the typical failure
location on the these systems), the hot exhaust gas is
now pointing towards the engine mount, firewall, and
lots of sensitive plumbing (fluid, electrical, and
mechanical). You can get some protection by using fire
barriers and shielding, but there is only so much you
can do.

Pat