REFLECTOR:fuel tank leak testing

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 05 Jul 2003 18:46:38 -0700

If you're at a few PSI, you may have caused the leak blowing the skin off
the spar.  At a few psi you have thousands of pounds of peel force.  As one
of the other posters said, you shouldn't pressurize it more than by mouth -
less than a PSI.

You can get a gas detector cheaply at an RV supply place.  Drip some
propane in the tank, cover the fuel port with duct tape, run the detector
around the area and play with the sensitivity, you'll get it isolated.

For sealing it, you can put a slight vacuum on the tank with a shop vac
(don't tape the hose in, you want the connection leaky) use a heat gun to
get your epoxy very thin (it will exotherm, be careful) and dab it into the
leak.  Or use a syringe - good ones can be gotten from the Veterinary
supply store.