REFLECTOR:Forced Landing

Alexander Balic reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 05 Jul 2003 11:02:16 -0500

Glad you are OK Sam....

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of AnnSam
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2003 6:55 PM
To: Reflector@Tvbf. Org
Subject: REFLECTOR:Forced Landing

To all Velocity owners and builders,
	In case you didn’t already know this I want to attest to the fact that the
Velocity is a great plane and the people at the Velocity factory are even
greater.
	On July 1st I flew my Velocity to Sebastian to pick up some parts. On the
way home the engine seized at about 1,500 feet and I was forced to land in a
rough and I do mean rough field. I thought it was going to be just a routine
off field landing with a probable broken nose gear. When I was about 20ft
off the ground I saw the 2ft. wide by about 2ft.deep drainage ditches
running across the whole field at about 75ft. apart. They could not be seen
from the air, as they were overgrown with vegetation. At that point I had no
choice, I had to land straight ahead. Had it been a spam can we would have
sustained a lot more serious injury. Although the nose of the aircraft looks
pretty bad it can be repaired.
 	I didn’t know what I was going to do to get the broken aircraft out of the
cow pasture in the middle of nowhere.  While, I was at the Emergency room
waiting on my friend I called the Velocity factory and told Dwayne of my
problem. He got a crew together picked up the broken aircraft placed it on a
trailer and took it back to the factory.
	I will be forever grateful to the Velocity crew and especially to Dwayne
Swing. The Velocity was a good strong design when Danny Maher designed it
and it’s even better now with the continuous factory improvements and mods.
	Velocity Standard Uni door  Flying over 800hrs. fixed gear 180HP Lyc.
											Sam DaSilva