REFLECTOR:Cleveland Brakes

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 4 Jul 2003 16:50:24 -0400

Phenolic thermal isolation boards.  Need advice from someone smarter than me
(which qualifies just about everyone).  In switching to the Clevelands, I
understand that 1/8" phenolic board is cut out to fit on the gear to isolate
the gear leg from the heat of the brakes.

My question is, "does the phenolic board (trimmed and drilled to fit,
naturally) go between the gear leg and axle, or does it go over the axle and
is sandwiched between the outside of the axle root and the anchor plate for
the calipers?"  Or both places???

V sent enough board material that I could make two isolation spacers to fit
in both positions discussed above, for each leg.  That might be excellent
for thermal isolation but I was concerned about pushing the wheel center
line out even further from the gear leg attachment point.

Any ideas on "the right way to do it", or at least the way you did it and it
worked, would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chuck
N27GV