REFLECTOR:Static Port

Mike Pollock reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 22:55:16 -0500

Scott,

I did some testing on our 173RG airspeed system back in 2000 to determine
the difference in CAS, IAS, and TAS for N173DT.  We also have the standard 3
hole static system under the left side of the canard, but we have our heated
pitot tube mounted under the right canard about 8 inches down, but pointed
in the direction of the fuselage side (not the direction of the centerline
of the plane). The only problem with the data is at the lower end stall with
the gear up.  The error is greater at that end, but all in all, the system
is within 3-5 knots accuracy.  The actual numbers can be found on my server
at http://mycozy.com/Performance.htm under the Data2 tab.

Michael Pollock
Flying Velocity N173DT
Building Cozy MKIV #643
EAA #411862
EAA Chapter #1246
Technical Counselor #4357
Based at TKI / NE Dallas Metroplex

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Scott Derrick
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 9:25 PM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR:Static Port

In this months Sport Aviation there is an article on how to calibrate
your airspeed indicator.  The article mentions that the most often
problem with incorrect airspeed indicators is the static port not
providing a true static pressure.

I'm sure mine is off at cruise speeds. I think it reads a lower pressure
than it should thus causing the airspeed indicator to register a higher
indicated speed than it should.

I have the standard 3 tiny holes in a vertical pattern  with a small
aluminum block in front of the holes.   This is located about 10 inches
below the pilot side elevator on the fuselage.

Any body else determine theirs was not optimal?  Any easy fixes?

Scott