REFLECTOR:Scott's question "VV is it worth it?"

Tony Babb reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 10:52:46 -0700

Ok, here's my .016euros.

The last issue went overboard on Williamsburg - I too counted 6 pages + and
I stopped reading after the first couple of lines because getting there is
just not feasible for me. I've already read and filed away this last issue
so going from memory here - always a dangerous thing to do at my age. In
that issue was a note from Duane asking us to contact him regarding various
options. From the way the options and his comments were posed it was obvious
that he was pushing us to support the current VV approach and not really
asking an open question and I kind of object to being pushed in a particular
direction. Velocity is not a democracy so if Duane has a preference he can
do whatever he wants however if he's genuinely asking his customers for
input a more neutral tone to the options and comments he offered would have
been more appropriate.

I will be very surprised if many or even any V builders do not have internet
connectivity - if they don't they can always go to the local library for
free - porn filters ought to let VV through - but you never know. Having
said that I subscribe to Aviation Safety and Aviation Consumer and IFR and
IFR Refresher all of which have a similar format to VV and arrive in the
mail and I think they're all about the same price as VV. All of these mags
end up in the bathroom and are read over several sittings. I hope I never
get to the point of having a phone or terminal in the bathroom. VV is a
little different from the other mags, to me it's more important and gets
filed away in a binder, that said I'd prefer to be able to file it away
electronically along with Reflector postings that I think may be useful in
the future - it's much easier to find stuff electronically - especially
stuff I forgot about completely until I did the search.

Again going from memory I think Duane commented about extra costs of
publishing online, frankly there are none. His staff are already creating
the articles anyway and it takes just a couple of minutes to upload them and
add a link - probably about as long as it takes someone to e-mail the
articles to Rick. It seems to me that ongoing customer education is not only
good sense but an excellent sales tool that Velocity could point it's
potential customers to. Like many V builders, I suspect, this is the first
and probably only airplane I'm going to build in my lifetime and the
knowledge that there is continuing education and support available was an
important factor when I chose Velocity.

While VV continues to be the only way to get the factory written articles
I'll continue to subscribe however I'd prefer to see it all available
online, preferably free but if not I'll pay.

Now where's my sanding block.......