REFLECTOR:Scott's question "VV is it worth it?"

Christopher Barber reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 10:38:34 -0500

Yeah, but I agree with Scott.....even though I may use different verbiage.
I like the VV and read most of it cover to cover.  However, all that stuff
on Williamsburg annoyed me.  If I wanted to know about Williamsburg I would
find it on the internet or even, dare a say, a travel magazine.

I have noticed appeals to us about submitting articles to fill VV.  I
respect this request, but if I just want to read fluff, I will read Jana's
"People Magazine".  That is not the kind of reading I do......I like
technical/how to articles and such.

I want new developments (new rudder pedals), updates, pictures (like the
twin building progress....or the two place version that was talked about),
HOW TO's (like installing auto-pilot's or installing a headliner) and
information on events.  But focused on my dream....uh, Velocity.

I enjoy VV, but I think the internet is a MUCH better forum.  Even though I
respect that not everyone has access, I feel this is an EXTREMELY weak
argument for not more quickly moving to the web for business support.
Especially since not everyone subscribes to VV.....they all can, but don't.
Same thing with the internet, they can subscribe and get all of its
benefits, but choose not to.  IMHO, we are way past the point when the web
is bleeding edge technology....or even leading edge (heck, I have had a web
presence since the mid 90's, 9 years ago.....and I am not in technology as a
business.  Today it is just another, and IMHO, much more powerful tool)

Folks move, sell, die etc, I understand. But, based on that, I do not see
how VV serves a need better.  (some folks don't have mail boxes....ok, very
small percentage or the RV types. RV as in Recreational Vehicle, not Van's
stuff <g> but that is not who is being catered to). I think it was mentioned
that about 450 kits have been sold. That being the case, it would take about
$167.00 in postage and well less than a ream of paper  to mail every kit
purchaser a letter to find out if the web would be a more useful forum or if
they have access.....but wait, we could just publish it in the VV. Oh, not
everyone subscribes to that. Never mind.

I know Mr. Swing made his appeal in the last issue and I am encouraged by
the interest.  It just seems at this point in time this is a no brainer. I
do not think VV is a profit center for anyone (even though I hope money is
made.....profit is good). I pay only $10.00 a month for my web hosting.  The
web seems to have EVERY advantage with the ONLY drawback other than the
initial set-up being not everyone chooses to access the net......but,
everyone can (i.e. can we say Library).  I admit I like the net a lot.  I go
to the net before and usually instead of the yellow pages or Best Buy.  So I
admit a bias.  But it is a bias based on experience.  Also, I concede that
most of y'all would agree with most of this since you are obviously already
linked to the rest of the world via email.

It seems the hold up is a resistance to what is now very established
technology.  Kinda ironic from a aviation firm.

Finally, like I said, I like VV, and look forward to it and want it to
continue, but I think it should be the back-up, not the focus.  I even enjoy
moderate fluff to add an overall flavor.  I think the cost is a non
issue....I have pissed away a lot more on a lot less....and I am sure I will
again....probably tonight <g>

As to credit cards, it would make it easier but the extra charges bite.  You
don't need terminals anymore, programs like QuickBooks will do it online
(but is still cost monthly fees and %).  As to the not being allowed to give
cash discounts.....I know it is only semantics, but I think, cash discounts
ARE allowed, charging more for credit is not.

Wow, this may be my longest post to this site....or maybe not....uh, sorry.

FWIW.

HAPPY FOURTH to all (in a country that lets us bitch about stuff like
this<g>).

Now to call the factory....I gots me a question.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber
Attorney and Counselor at Law