REFLECTOR:Scott's question "VV is it worth it?"

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 10:36:28 -0400

Scott,

Thanks for the exposition of your views of the Velocity Views (V V).

In my opinion, at the current subscription cost, V V provides a good value.
If one is looking at V V as solely a source of KPC's, then it is probably
not the vehicle of choice.

I suggest the real extra value to me is what you inappropriately call Bull
Shit.  Without the V V, I will not see the authoritative technical
information.  I would not have the opportunity to better know those at the
factory.  I would not know about what the factory is doing and planning.  I
would not see the "stupid builder tricks" and from those learn how not to
do things.  Without V V, what would be the factual source for those areas
that are important to the factory.

V V is a place where I get information about people.  V V is one place that
I get to know Velocity owners.  I see this as a component of strengthening
the Velocity Owners community.  This is an area where builders can share
ideas openly.

Yes the Reflector does provide a conduit for the exchange of ideas.  I
would suggest that an analysis of the Reflector postings shows a
significant content that you don't consider worthwhile.  Even worse, the
Reflector can be intimidating because, without editorial control (and there
should not be editing in this type of forum) responses can become personal
attacks. The vitriolic responses that we often see do not promote free and
open communication.  Rather, they attempt to beat the opposing opinion out
of existence with emotional intimidation rather than factual response.  So
I would add those responses to the no value count.

While I understand that the cost of kits to future builders may not be of
immediate concern to those who have already purchased a Velocity.  I
suggest it will be a concern in the future viability of the company and
therefore, the owner community.  Yes I understand that it seems like a
small addition, but it is an additional cost and higher cost means
decreasing buyers.  The best way to ensure the continued evolution of the
breed is to continue selling kits.  When the factory no longer sells kits,
the idea conduit will begin to close, interest in Velocity's will decline
and the value of the orphans we own will begin to decrease.

Since this has been an area of much posturing and venom in the past, I have
worked to keep the tone of this note as neutral.  If I have failed, I
apologize.  What I am hoping to encourage is thoughtful responses that
provide open communication and meaningful feedback to Duane and Velocity.
I hope that others will look at the issues in the broader view and let
Duane know their thoughts.

Jerry