REFLECTOR:The continuing Gear Up Landing Saga

Dave Black reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 29 Dec 2003 01:01:25 -0500

Scott,

I am very sorry to hear of your second nose gear accident. I can understand
why the Spousal Unit might not want to fly for a while.

> So what happened and was it related to the gear up in Carson last week.  I
> think so.

I agree there is most likely a connection. Obviously your first incident
resulted from the axle getting stuck on the side guide.

> I can only surmise the axle bolt was loose for awhile.

Probably. But WHY was it loose in the first place ? Had the casting already
started to fracture before your first incident? If so, maybe that's how the
axle became loose to jam into your side guide.

Otherwise I cannot understand why you'd lose your nose wheel AFTER you'd
tightened the locking nut. Your second incident seems more like something
which could result from a loose locking nut than from one which had just been
tightened. It will be interesting to see if the locknut stayed with the nose
fork, and whether the screw threads are OK.

Aren't there supposed to be TWO little hex screws in that locking hole on the
nose fork? The second screw secures the first. It's been a while since I
worked on my nose fork.

Best,
Dave Black
Shortwing RG