REFLECTOR:RE:weak gas struts

John Dibble reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 27 Dec 2003 11:15:28 -0600

--------------070508020107090506080008

Dave Black wrote:

>Alex,
>

>>I was going to ask why we do not use a spring cartridge device instead of
>>the nitrogen strut for the over center linkage, the difference is the
>>dampening effect of the gas strut...
>>

>I suspect the gas strut is a good deal gentler on the gear mechanism than a
>spring would be. Without the gas strut, the gear's free-fall would be hastened
>by the spring and the force of the wind. It <could> slam up against the stops
>pretty hard. Of course, this would happen only during emergency gear
>extension. The normal extension cycle would be as gentle as always.

I would think that the hydraulic system would dampen the extension.  The
hydraulic fluid has to flow past the dump valve as the gear extends.

John

--------------070508020107090506080008

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Dave Black wrote:<br>
  <pre wrap="">Alex,

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">I was going to ask why we do not use a spring cartridge device instead of
the nitrogen strut for the over center linkage, the difference is the
dampening effect of the gas strut...
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
I suspect the gas strut is a good deal gentler on the gear mechanism than a
spring would be. Without the gas strut, the gear's free-fall would be hastened
by the spring and the force of the wind. It &lt;could&gt; slam up against the stops
pretty hard. Of course, this would happen only during emergency gear
extension. The normal extension cycle would be as gentle as always.</pre>
I would think that the hydraulic system would dampen the extension.&nbsp;
The hydraulic fluid has to flow past the dump valve as the gear extends.<br>
John
  <pre wrap="">
  </pre>

--------------070508020107090506080008--