REFLECTOR:RE:weak gas struts

Dave Black reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 27 Dec 2003 04:11:08 -0500

Alex,

> I was going to ask why we do not use a spring cartridge device instead of
> the nitrogen strut for the over center linkage, the difference is the
> dampening effect of the gas strut...

I suspect the gas strut is a good deal gentler on the gear mechanism than a
spring would be. Without the gas strut, the gear's free-fall would be hastened
by the spring and the force of the wind. It <could> slam up against the stops
pretty hard. Of course, this would happen only during emergency gear
extension. The normal extension cycle would be as gentle as always.

> There are a couple of companies that
> make them, and they have many sizes and rod end configurations-

Who makes them? I'd be interested in trying one out.

> is there any reason why these can not be used?

As far as I know, only the sudden, undamped stop at the end of the emergency
extension cycle. Maybe it'll prove better to have a screen door type strut
along with the spring strut.

Dave Black
Shortwing RG