REFLECTOR:RE:weak gas struts

Alex Balic reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 27 Dec 2003 01:36:31 -0600

I was going to ask why we do not use a spring cartridge device instead of
the nitrogen strut for the over center linkage, the difference is the
dampening effect of the gas strut (good for opening your hatchback or for
the gull wing doors, but not really needed for the over center linkage I
don't think. There are a couple of companies that make them, and they have
many sizes and rod end configurations- is there any reason why these can not
be used?

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Dave Black
Sent: Friday, December 26, 2003 11:48 PM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Gear Speed

Scott, Steve,

> John should not be wondering if his gear will work or not.

None of us should. If this thread has done anything, it has pointed out how
important it is to periodically perform an inflight test of the emergency
gear
extension system.

> I don't want to argue or debate or to provide scientific evidence that
> air forces will not keep the gear doors from opening during an emergency
> gear down procedure.

The 'air forces' theory sounds plausible enough. However in all the years
Retractable Velocities have been flying, this has never before been observed
or identified as a problem.
Yet, we have documented these problems:
1) Weak gas strut (failure to push/hold linkage overcenter)
2) Gear caught in well (inadequate side guides)
3) Gear mechanism binds; fails to drop with authority
4) Gear door stuck closed for reasons unrelated to air loads, such as
sequence
valve stuck or side arms too tight
5) Overcenter linkage adjusted improperly (hard to push overcenter or won't
stay there)
6) Gas strut seized, freezing gear in 'UP' position

Though I can not contribute any quantitative data on the ability of the
gear's
weight to push the doors open, in five years on the Reflector and talking
with
other Velocity owners I've never heard of any problem in this area. If air
loads on the doors were truly a problem, surely it would affect the majority
of Velocity RGs.

Further, if air loads were at fault, slowing to 80 or 90k and performing a 2
or 3G pull-up would surely force the gear down. That nose gear is heavy, and
just can't imagine it being held in the well by air pressure alone.

Admittedly, this is not scientific evidence. But in the interest of saving
time, I suggest you rule out the 6 items above before going to the trouble
measure air loads on the doors.

Dave Black
Shortwing RG